Chupy 2: The Demopup

On this sweltering day, Lindsey and I worked on developing a system for keeping track of demopup, the process of mopping up any mistakes, mishaps, and general instances of misses. We collected a list of every site and made a poster to keep a close eye on the process, and have some fun. Chupy the chupacabra/badger/puppy has made a reappearance.

Lindsey deep in the creative process

We will revisit every site to search, demo, and survey flowering echinacea one more time. Team members will keep track of how many plants they find that aren’t all the way through the process, and once they get back to Hjelm they get to put a corresponding number of their own special sticker next to the site in question. Sticker options to come!

Poster finished. Lindsey’s art degree pending.

Done By Yours Truly

While working with the Echinacea Project since spring, I have surprisingly only ever cleaned one or two Echinacea heads. I have done a lot of cleaning and randomizing with Liatris aspera as well as rechecking, scanning, and randomizing for Echinacea angustifolia. But here is one of those rare heads cleaned by me! It has been cleaned, rechecked, and now scanned by yours truly. Sadly there were no achenes found in this one.

Rainy Garden Days

It’s rainy season! The past few days we have been getting a good amount of rain. Walking into the garden, it felt like I had woken up at the crack of dawn or was getting in late in the afternoon. While the rain makes me a little drowsy, it makes all the plants very happy. Here are some of those happy plants!

P1 Measuring – Day 9!

For more details on the momentous victory that occurred this morning in P1, please refer to Abby’s previous flog post. However, I thought I would add one final graph to the flog for satisfaction purposes. We finished measuring P1 early relative to the past two years. Last year, the team finished measuring P1 on August 24th, and Wyatt went back into the records from 2021 and determined we finished measuring P1 on August 21st last year. Shoutout to the crew this year that finished measuring 10,992 positions in record time!

P1 Measuring – Day 8!

So close! The team is 91% done measuring P1!

P1 Measuring – Day 7!

Today, Ruth and Amy joined us to measure Amy’s Annex! We are now 81% done measuring P1, so close!

P1 Measuring – Day 6!

After a brief break from measuring yesterday, the team was back in action today. We are now 69% done measuring p1!

P1 Measuring – Day 5!

57% done and completely done with the 99s garden, which was a nice change of scenery! We’ve now entered 99n garden.

P1 Measuring – Day 4!

44% of the way done! Woo! Next we’ll be entering the 99 North Garden (the green section remaining in the northeast part of the plot).

P1 Measuring – Day 3!

29% done, made it into Big Batch! These rows are on the meter instead of the half meter, which feels a lot faster than half meter rows.