Categories

Searching for Seedlings and Stipa

As the day began, we had one mission: finish searching for q3 seedlings. With Per helping out, Alyson was free to go down to the bog and begin setting up her experimental plots for removal of buckthorn. The rest of us paired off and started the work of finishing q3. Amy and I worked together. The most surprising seedling we found was 29cm west of the line.

All working in on one row of q3

All working in on one row of q3

Lone seedling 29 cm from the main line!

Lone seedling 29 cm from the main line!

After lunch, we headed down to p1 to learn how to search for Hesperostipa. This was the first time Team Echinacea 2016 worked in p1. As I worked with James the first time, we struggled to find plants in our first row. Working our way back though, we found one plant with 78 fruits.

James counts the fruits!

James counts the fruits!

We all spent the end of the afternoon back at q3 finding the remaining seedlings. Working in teams of three and five we wondered if we were more efficient than working in just pairs. With an odd numbered team, one person can enter data and the rest can search for seedlings. We found 644 seedlings in 849 planted segments- the winter was hard on these q3 seedlings. But the data is exciting nonetheless!

We just finished q3!

We just finished q3!

When we returned to Town Hall, Laura started making an amazing curry lentil dish while Leah, James, and I participated in Leah’s “leg day” workout routine and Amy picked up the CSA box from Morris. We now have a refrigerator full of lettuce, kohlrabi, scallions, radishes, and even two summer squash.

IMG_5792

Opening the box

Look at all of our veggies!

Look at all of our veggies!

 

Facebooktwitterpinterestmail

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>