Internship Project Update

I start the process of randomizing with the coin envelopes of re-checked achenes. The first part of the process is spreading the achenes out evenly across a circle that is sectioned off into 11 parts, each identified with a letter. Using a random letter generator, I select two sections of achenes. I put the rest of the achenes back into their original coin envelope. I sort and count the achenes that were selected by the random number generator into two groups, informative and uninformative. Achenes are uninformative if they are broken, underdeveloped, predated or ray achenes because these types of achenes are either known to be sterile or the seed could have fallen out during the cleaning process. I then put a label with identification information on both a white coin envelope and a clear plastic baggie. On the white envelope, I write the number of informative and uninformative achenes as well as my initials and the date. I put the uninformative achenes in this envelope and the informative achenes in the clear plastic baggie to be x-rayed. I record the data for the number of uninformative and informative achenes in the 2022 randomizing data sheets and put the coin envelopes back in their original box and the randomized ones in a new box so that they can be prepared for x-raying. This week I switched from the bbMost 2022 batch to a smaller batch that will be more manageable to complete during the remainder of my semester long internship with the Echinacea Project. I will be carrying out the randomization using this method after the rechecking and scanning of the new batch is completed.  


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>